Mother’s Day

My son forgot Mother’s Day.  Technically, he says he didn’t, because he never knew it was Mother’s Day, therefore he couldn’t have forgotten.

It was my fault.  I didn’t tell him.  Well I did, but not early enough.

“How can you not know, dude?” I said.   Now that he’s in high school, they don’t do Mother’s Day poems or cards, so the built-in reminder is long gone. Still, can you even turn on the television or go by a store without seeing MOTHER’S DAY SALE splashed across the front?  “I bet even your smart phone knows it’s Mother’s Day.”

He snorts a “yeah right” in my direction and turns it on. Lo and behold, on the front screen it says, May 12, 2012 – Tomorrow is Mother’s Day!

“Oh.”

“That’s it?” I said. “Eighteen hours of labor and all you can give me is “oh?”

“You should have raised me better.”

I ruffled his hair.  I’m not upset.  I kind of figured he’d forget, but why pass up an opportunity to give him a hard time? It’s one of the joys of parenting.

I spent Saturday evening at the bookstore (there is nothing I love more than bookstores) and when I got back, there were flowers in my office.  I know my husband got them, but that’s okay.  He neglected me on my first Mother’s Day and learned his lesson.  It never happened again.  He told my son to make a card, which he did, apparently under duress.  It’s a sheet of typing paper.  He’s written in pencil.

Happy Mother’s Day

You think I forgot…

How sweet, I’m thinking.  He really played it cool.  I feel guilty for giving him a hard time, even in jest, for forgetting Mother’s Day.  I open the card, ready for something sweet like, you rock, or you’re awesome, or something like that. Nope.

…I did.  Sorry.

All I have to say is Happy Mother’s Day.

He didn’t sign it.

I said thank you anyway. “Lovely flowers.”

“Dad bought them.”

I smiled at my husband.

“But he made me pay for them.”

I gave my husband the thumbs up. Then, my son walked over and gave me a hug, wearing the  dopey smile he saves for me.  “But I made the card myself.”

All in all, a pretty good day.

I’ve been graced twice again with the Leibster blog award.  Recognition is always so lovely. So I owe some thank yous.

First, to Claudsy, poet, foodie and traveler. What doesn’t she do? Visit Claudsy’s Blog. You’ll see what I mean.  It’s always a joy to find someone who loves language the way that she does. She’s both a reader’s writer and a writer’s writer.  Hug a poet in her honor today.  It’s a tough road to hoe–they could probably use one.

Second, to Sarah, who makes me want to move to Vermont so I can join Women Writing for Change. My friend Nina (if you haven’t seen her story on my blog, check it out, she’s an amazing woman) says that words are needles, which is so true.  They can wound or heal.  Sarah helps women use words to heal themselves, the community and the world.

Part of getting this lovely award is promising to pay it forward by nominating other blogs I love, and then they had to go and nominate all the blogs I love (especially Cindy at Everyday Underwear )!  So I need to find more.  So if you have a great blog I should check out, say so in my comments and I’ll give you a visit!

Words by J. B. Everett

Photograph by Kaz Andrew

11 comments on “Mother’s Day

1. amynruhlin says:

Really enjoy your writing. I have a new mothers day blog post as well if youd like to stop by. Have a great week.

2. amynruhlin says:

oops maybe I was suppse to leave my blog, still learning this universe http://www.theviewatmidlife.com

3. hiyacynthia says:

Jeannine, I couldn’t have been more shocked to read this post and find my name in it. Thank you!

I can identify with your post. My entire household forgot my birthday this past year and then got mad at me at the end of the day when I told them. They said it was my job to remind them! I thought, “Really, that’s the mother/wife’s job? I have to remind them about MY birthday?” They made a last minute effort, but it was too late to be fully appreciated. And for Mother’s Day, I get more adulation from my husband for being a good mother to his kids than I do from the kids. I found my Mother’s Day card (made at school by force) from the one child who does care about these events, thrown haphazardly on the kitchen floor in a pile of junk and got a big fat nothing from the older one. You will enjoy this Mother’s Day post from a friend called “Mom, You Moron” – I know I did!

Regarding you giving me the Liebster Award, the timing could not have been more properly appointed if you had tried. I was going through my morning e-mails just now and came to a guest post interview where the question was asked, “Which is more important, $ for your writing or title of Bestselling Author?” I replied that for me, it was respect from others, and it is especially appreciated when it comes from other great writers. I do it for the love of it right now and being recognized by others as “good enough,” making someone laugh or cry, or helping someone through my writing… that’s what keeps me going.

The very next e-mail was your post, recognizing me for being worthy. Again, I can’t thank you enough. I’m honored to be included in your list. :0) You made my day!

4. claudsy says:

I’m glad your Mom’s Day did a 180, Jeannine. I always feel sorry for moms who have to remind everyone around them that their day is rapidly approaching on the off chance that the one reminded might acknowledge the privilege of knowing them and help them celebrate the day and the position of Mother.

Not having kids, I’ve had to watch others do the Mother’s Day Reel each year. I even feel included when perfect strangers say Happy Mother’s Day to me, not realizing that older women who look grandmotherly aren’t always.

Have a stupendous week, Mrs. Mom.

• hiyacynthia says:

Claudsy, isn’t that funny that people automatically assume you are a mother? I have an aunt and an uncle who never had children and I have not had children of my own (my two are adopted step-children) and that was just personal choice. I remember that during my first marriage, people would excitedly ask, “When are you going to start a family?” and I got to the point where I resented that question. I had no plans to have children and was not sure if I ever would! I often wondered why women were “expected” to be expecting, LOL!

• claudsy says:

We still live in a society of stereotypes and fixed expectations. All women, of a certain age, are married and have children. All senior women have children and grandchildren.

I feel sorry for the mothers, who’ve lost their children through disease or injury, and who get hit with that question in the grocery store or wherever. The instant pain must sometimes be unbearable for them. We might resent someone’s assumptions, but it doesn’t fill us with pain as it does for some.

Thanks for the comment. Hope you have a marvy week, Cynthia.

• Thank you Claudsy. I don’t feel too bad about Mother’s Day. The reality is that, no matter how much I write about my son, it’s possible because we have a really good relationship. It’s not all roses, of course, but he shows his appreciation each other every day in one way or another, so if he misses one day out of the year, I have 300 or so others to draw on.

5. This blog post is too funny! Ah, teenagers!!! Come visit me if you have a free moment: http://www.lisagradessweinstein.blogspot.com – AKA The Mixed Up Brains of Lisa Weinstein
    And so glad you nominated Cindy Brown, I love her blog posts, they always make me laugh!!

6. wendymc12 says:

The post was great. Thanks for sharing your Mother’s Day experience. I’m glad you mentioned your blog, it’s wonderful.